After the migration from Makkah to Madina, the migrant muslims faced a number of difficulties including economic and social hardships. Realizing this and with the intent of eliminating difference of race, culture and status, the Prophet Mohammad(sawaw) decided to declare religious brotherhood among the migrants (Muhajireen) and the residents of Madina (Ansaar). This was in accordance with the instructions of Allah(swt) in the Quran where He says “Innamal mominoona ikhwa” (All momineen are brothers among themsevles). Prophet Mohammad(sawaw) gathered all muslims from the two groups and declared the concept which marked an important milestone in the Islamic History.
In making one muhajir brother of one ansaar, the Prophet(sawaw) took special care of the compatibilities in their traits and nature. This way he made sure that they would easily get along as brothers and no conflict would arise between their personalities. Some of the examples of this brotherhood are as follows:
- Hazrat Abu Darda(r.a.) was made the brother of Hazrat Salman Farsi(r.a.)
- Hazrat Abuzar Ghaffari(r.a. ) was made the brother of Hazrat Manzar bin Umair(r.a.)
- Hazrat Huzaifa Yamani(r.a.) was made the brother of Hazrat Ammar Yasir(r.a.)
- Hazrat Maasab bin Umair(r.a.) was made the brother of Hazrat Abu Ayub Ansari(r.a.)
- Hazrat Salama bin Waqash(r.a.) was made the brother of Hazrat Zubair bin Awam(r.a.)
During this brotherhood, Imam Ali(a.s.) was not made brother of anyone. He(a.s.) had tears in his eyes at that time and looked with inquisition at Prophet Mohammad(sawaw) . The Prophet(sawaw) held Imam Ali(a.s.)’s hand in his hand and declared in front of all Muslims that “Ali(a.s.) is my brother – in this world and the hereafter”.